Monday, August 18, 2008

A new India

This refers to my daughter and her friends - all of them around 8 years old. Three days back when we celebrated Independence Day, my daughter actually told me about what happened on 15th Aug'1948 - how people celebrated Independence day that day... she told me she had seen this in T.V. (next time I curse television, I should think twice). She went on telling me stories about Independence Day - its importance, its implications, and its relevance! And I was amazed at the amount of interest she displayed. Honestly, I remember when I was 8years old, I was not half as knowledgeable as my daughter then, and apart from what my class books taught me, I had absolutely no interest in anything else.

Then there was a get together - and there were 3 kids - all 8 years - and I was amazed to see them discuss Abhinav Bindra (last post of mine, I even misspelt his name), discuss Olympics statistics and even the guy amongst them (Mayank) gave out some typical terms of games (sorry dont ask me what they were, cos I absolutely have no clue) and tried to explain the ladies out there (Ranjana and Simar) as to why India lacks behind in Olympics. The same day I heard them discuss about Lunar Eclipse (there was one that day) and its implications...

This is the new age Indian generation - very knowledgeable (and mind you, I am not talking about bookish knowledge here), and more importantly, eager to know things - and rationally analyze them. You just cant tell them that you shoudnt have food during lunar eclipse - you have to give them reasons as to why you are making such a statement... and I must say - I am impressed with this lot - not as a mother, but as a citizen of this country - am proud to have this generation to pass over this country to... I am confident that they will take our nation to greater heights... and with that, Jai Hind...

P.S. : They know the difference between National Song and National Anthem, their respective authors, and the full songs...wow! There is so much to learn from them - Main paanchvi pass se tez nahin hoon (ok make that 3rd std)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

are you saying that now you are as informed as your daughter?