Friday, March 20, 2009

Mistakes - The only right thing in Life

(Apologies for a confused, jumbled post. But let me call it my Post-Modernist/ Anti-Positivist style).

Happily ever after…..Yes, maybe. Most of us want a life without grave illness or never see poverty. We do want our basics to be fine, whatever we think our basics are (basics you see is highly subjective).

Also, happiness is an ambiguous word. For some, happily ever after may mean five bottles of beer (my husband) and steaks everyday. Of course, we can’t define what makes people happy, matter of fact some people are drawn to depression. True, being sad somehow does it for them. All right, brand me as insensitive (no you cant really do that, as I myself, am in that phase at the moment), but hey, some people do have a subversive sense of ‘joy’.

No, no, this is not an attack on depressed people, don’t worry. This is about those irresistible imperfect choices. Wrong choices are alluring…that guy with the colorful Mohawk, that eyebrow piercing, that 90’s perm that made you look like an alien, that roadside snack, that candy the stranger gave…the first cigerratte and so on...

Look at fairytales. Somehow, most fairy tales are about wrong choices and their consequences and a journey to set it right. In Cinderella, Dad marries the wrong woman, prince falls for just that girl who is not invited to the ball…for that matter almost every fairytale is about wrong choices. I mean, for thousands of years we have told our children where wrong choices can lead us to only to ensure that they make that wrong choice! And that too in life we are left without the magic to make things fine again.

I do think making the wrong choice is the essence of life. We have to, or else how do we set it right again? Or not set it right, continue the misdeed and make a total mess. But doing the wrong thing is essential. Wait, there is a narrow border between stark stupidity and making mistakes. If you wear a superman cape and jump from a building it’s stupid, just plain stupid. But if you thought you could paint and joined an art class to only realize you can’t even draw a smiley face, then it’s a mistake.

So, why am I rambling about fairytales, mistakes, redemption, nemesis. I have no clue why. It’s like this inexplicable urge to go on a picnic with an aluminum vessel with girls on the beach and sing ‘Mausam mastana, rasta anjana’. See, that’s what I mean there is no logical reasoning. Also, when we are talking of mistakes logic and rationality are not the keywords.

Although, recently I have been thinking a lot about mistakes, wrong choices...I know, I have been thoughtful for a change instead of searching for free music online. All I can say, is my wrong choices were essential. This priceless lesson of life, yes, I was wrong and I want to set it right. Let me define myself in the Bollywood way. I would rather say ‘Bade bade shehron mein aisi choti choti baatein hoti rehti hai’ than sob like Kaka and sing ‘Humse ka bhool hui…’

...ok, I know you now want to label this post as "fully faltoo"... but dont do tht. It is not...this post is dedicated to the the miskates of my life which has made me what I am today...

No comments: