Monday, June 16, 2008

Happy Father's Day

Yesterday was Father's day. My daughter wished her father and gave him a card. Last year I remember, she even got him a gift from her own pocket money. I think this year, she didnt get the time. But whatever it is, she did remember to wish him and make a card for him. Seeing her, i also felt like calling my father to wish him a Happy Father's Day... but i just couldnt. Yes, you got me right, i just couldnt pick up the phone, call him up, and tell him, "Baba, Happy Father's Day to you!" - This just seemed so superficial. I felt, he would probably not even know about this "special" day, or even if he did (thanks to the media), he would not be able to emote on this particularly "special" day, as the Best Dad around. And even i could not pretend to be a dutiful daughter (no offense meant to all who did) by calling him up and wishing him yesterday.

Baba - the first man I ever came in interaction with, ever since I was a child. Baba and I share a relationship which is much deeper than wishing him or gifting him on "Father's Day". You see, i have nothing against these "special" days. Its just that I am not accustomed to celebrating these kind of days. Ever since our childhood, the only "special" day we used to look forward to, was "Jamai Shashti" - the day of the "son-in-law" and the only reason i used to look forward to this day was for the ultimate satisfaction of my taste buds - i dont know about the others. We never had these "Father's Day", "Mother's Day", "Women's Day", "pet's Day" etc. So please excuse my ignorance and rudeness (in case you think I am), I am yet to get used to celebrating these days from my side.

Baba - even if I dont call you up on "Father's day" to wish you, even if I dont gift you anything special on this day, even if I dont express in words or through cards, I love you.
I love you for being there for me whenever i needed you.
I love you for going out of your way to fulfill all my wishes and desires, without even mentioning once, how difficult it must have been for you.
I love you for making my birthdays special by ordering those highly expensive flury's cakes just because I loved them so much, even if that meant putting up fights with Maa.
I love you for gifting me my first ever tri-cycle. I may not have told you then, or ever, but i was absolutely thrilled when I got that red cycle - it will always be very very special to me.
I love you for taking me for haircuts with you - I used to be absolutely thrilled to sit on those wooden planks placed on the handle of the chairs - i used to look so tall on them, and Baba, I loved to go to the gents saloon, rather than those petite ladies parlours.
I love you for playing "do you see what i see" with me, sitting on our balcony in a summer evening, when there would be loadshedding (which meant everyday). Today i realise, you used to voluntarily lose and let me win! That makes those victories i had on you, even more special today.
I love you for taking me to the new market - my first shopping experience - to buy a new birthday dress for me. I will never forget my first lunch outside - Chicken Friedrice@KARCO.
I love you for taking me to watch "The Jaws" - my first movie in "Sonali" theatre - with popcorn and chips - oh Baba, it was so special - I will never forget that evening.
I love you for always taking my side whenever Maa and I would have a fight. Today, I realise, how tough it must have been for you :-)
I love you for all those extra pocket money you used to give me without Maa's knowledge. They really helped me a lot in my college days.
I love you for trusting me and giving me the permission to stay out till 11pm one weekend. Baba, I had lied to you that it was a friend's birthday party - actually we went to a DISCO that night - my first DISCO experience, and it was only possible because of you.

Baba, I thank you for all this and more - this list can go on and on. You have been always a "special" father to me. I know, we dont express our feelings to each other much, but we are special to each other, and will always remain so - everyday, every moment.

I know You are not the strongest; or the most powerful; or the fittest; or the more successful; or the richest; or the most efficient person on this earth. But YOU are the BEST father for ME!!! No matter what the world says, I am proud of you and I know you are proud of me too.

So here's one imperfect daughter wishing her imperfect father a very happy "Father's Day" - today and always.

Love you.

No comments: