Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Fell in love with Vienna...at last

All these days probably I was trying my level best not to fall in love with Vienna. The mother in me stopped me, the wife in me stopped me, the daughter in me stopped me. But the WOMAN in me finally won...and was touched by the beauty of this city, which is modern, yet traditional; happenning, yet calm; different, yet with a friendly touch. The good things that touched me here are (apart from the couples being more expressive :-)

  • People are very friendly but from a distance. This I feel is good - Indians are known for their friendliness but I at times feel we go overboard. There is a fine boundary between friendliness and stepping the fence, and I feel we Indian do cross that boundary quite often. Here people greet you in the lift, on the lobby, on the road... even if they dont know you. They have a constant smile on their face. Its been 10 days now and I have not seen any fight anywhere.
  • Trust and personal responsibility is too high amongst Europeans. And this I think, I need not elaborate.
  • The city is highly planned. The traffic, though not at all light, is very organized. And I think that is because people dont break RULES here.
  • Animals are taken really good care of. This is one amazing thing I have seen here. People may argue this is a rich country and that is why all these points are coming out...India being a poor country, this cannot be expected, but I would like to differ here. Its not about how much bank balance you have - its more about your nature, your thought process, your basic instincts! and India will need a 100 years to catch up to this level of honesty and trust worthiness - rich or otherwise.
  • We can learn a lot of things from these people, only if we want to. We must appreciate where its due and better even if they can be adopted as well.

The free spirit that this city epitomises, am in love with that

The cleanliness of this city, am in love with that

The enormity of the palaces here, am in love with that

The beautiful weather that am enjoying here, am in love with that

The broad lanes with organized traffic, am in love with that

And all this, I think somewhere down the way, is more than compensating the lack of Indian food.

Looking forward to going back to my home to have the delicacies of India, but once I am there I will surely be missing the city, I hate to be in love with!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So you finally fell in love with Vienna? As for traffic, the traffic of citites in India has its own charm. As for food, why not try food coming from different parts of the world? They taste wonderful, and are a delightful experience.